Friday 9 March 2018

My Sporting Diary: Part 10

Part ten of my 2018 sporting diary, as Arsenal play Jekyll and Hyde, and Aggers and Tuffers entertain.

It says a lot about the state of Arsenal that I was not particularly surprised when we lost to Brighton. Petr Cech had a bit of a nightmare, and held his hands up afterwards, but he was not alone in looking like he'd won a competition to play in a Premier League game. Apparently 88% of Arsenal Supporters Trust members want Arsene to leave now. Fair play to the 12% who want him to stay. I admire their loyalty, although I think it has reached the point where it would be best for everyone if Arsene left at the end of the season.

Could it be that Arsene could save himself by winning the Europa League? I was absolutely astonished that Arsenal defeated Milan on Thursday night, and that they kept a clean sheet in the process. I know this isn't exactly the greatest Milan team in their history, but Arsenal were so vulnerable and low on confidence that I feared the worst.

I didn't get to see the match, as we went out for an early Mother's Day meal for my mother-in-law. Maybe this is the secret? A friend of mine sent me a WhatsApp message calling me a Jonah, and telling me that I can never watch Arsenal again. I'd happily do that if it meant Arsenal finished the season on a glorious winning streak. Call me mad, though, but I have a feeling that the absence of a balding 42-year-old man in a pub in Milton Keynes does not change the outcome of Arsenal matches. But I'll maintain that my lucky socks and Halls Soothers Packet did win us the double in 1997/98.



I attended a very enjoyable evening with Aggers and Tuffers at Milton Keynes Theatre on Sunday night (other people were there too - it wasn't a private session). Tuffers is always entertaining, providing what is commonly known as "good value", and Aggers is a solid pair of hands. It was really emotional to see Mrs Aggers make an appearance at the end, as Mr Aggers explained that his wife has beaten breast cancer. And Tino the dog was a star, too.

Many past cricket stars seem to have a story to tell. It did get me thinking that in twenty years time it might not be the same. With the sport being so professional now, it does make you wonder if people will sit down to an evening with Joe Root and Eoin Morgan. "Hey, remember that time we went for media training at Lord's?". "Oh yeah, that was great, but not as good as the day we were taught the core values of the ECB". Mind you, in recent times some of the England team have not exactly covered themselves in glory whilst having a few sherbets, so maybe future evenings like this will not be completely dry.



High comedy at the Hemel Hempstead's clash with East Thurrock on Tuesday night. Referee asks for players name; player replies "Watt"; referee repeats the question; player replies "Watt"; referee, now using the I'm going to count to five method used by many parents up and down the country, says that if the player does not give him his name, then he'll send him off; player replies "My name is Watt"; referee sends player off; captain intervenes, and after many giggles, Sanchez Watt has his red downgraded to a yellow.

You couldn't write comedy like this....oh, I've just checked an old Fawlty Towers episode (Communication Problems), and it appears that you can. Excellent work by all involved, though, and I hope this is a continuing series. Next week: Montreal Impact's Rod Fanni stars.


Previous entries:
Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Part 9

No comments:

Post a Comment