Thursday 15 March 2018

My Sporting Diary: Part 11

The latest entry in my 2018 sporting diary, as Jamie Carragher explodes, West Ham fans protest, and I look forward to Cheltenham and Boreham Wood visits.

I'm not sure there were many winners in the Jamie Carragher affair (what a band they were). It takes a special kind of person to film something on their mobile phone whilst driving, and the fact that this tool had his daughter in the car makes it even more stupid. I think if I saw Harry Kane driving I'd probably point it out to my children, but I'd hopefully resist the urge to hurl abuse at him. And I'm reasonably confident I wouldn't film the whole shebang.

Carragher obviously regrets his actions, and he'll probably be back on our screens after a Sky-imposed ban. It was an odd reaction, though. I'm not condemning him for losing the plot; it is sometimes difficult to turn the other cheek. But I've never got so angry that I've wanted to spit at someone. Well, apart from that llama at the zoo, but that was very much spit for spat (I can only apologise for that abysmal attempt at humour).



In what was a very quiet weekend, there was trouble at the venue formerly known as the Olympic Stadium. I've every sympathy with West Ham supporters; moving away from a well-loved stadium and into a soulless bowl isn't much fun. But at least Ashburton Grove was built for football in the first place.

I am a little confused over the expectations of West Ham fans, though. Do they expect to be challenging for Champions League qualification, because if they do then they may be waiting a long time. I guess they didn’t move away from Upton Park to move on to the next step down. They could plausibly have the best soulless stadium in the Championship next season.



Tuesday night saw me making the trip to Meadow Park to see Boreham Wood draw 1-1 with Maidenhead. In truth, a draw was a fair result, with the Wood unable to break down a determined visiting team, and it took a couple of decent Grant Smith saves to prevent a damaging defeat.

On Saturday we will be back to see the vital clash with fellow promotion hopefuls Tranmere. My natural pessimistic streak makes me fear a defeat is coming soon, although the Wood have continued to surprise me throughout the season. I'm hoping that Saturday will be another example of the team punching above their weight.



I'm off to Cheltenham on Friday. I had a great time last year, although my lack of gambling success made it a more expensive day than I had hoped. Sadly I got stuck into a vicious cycle of drinking Guinness, needing the toilet, queueing up for half of my life, placing a bet, watching my horse lose, and then back on to the Guinness. One thing I can safely predict about my next trip to Cheltenham is that I will get sucked back into this whirlpool once more.


Previous entries:
Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Part 9 Part 10

No comments:

Post a Comment