Friday 2 March 2018

My Sporting Diary: Part 9

Part 9 of my sporting diary, as Arsenal continue to frustrate, England lose the rugby, and snow is everywhere.

I didn't really expect Arsenal to win the League Cup final. In all honesty, I travelled to Wembley more in hope than expectation, recalling our unexpected win against Chelsea in the FA Cup as my only source of optimism. But the display of Arsenal was pathetic to put it mildly. Some people got a bit angry about Gary Neville's comments, in which he labelled certain Arsenal players as "a disgrace". I have no problem with him speaking his mind. He was saying what quite a lot of us were thinking.

I should have realised that things were heading downhill, when I incomprehensibly fell over whilst walking to the toilets in the stadium. People have suggested that I can't handle my drink anymore (scandalous), but as a man who has passed 40, I'm starting to think this is my lot from now on. I had one of my falls at Boreham Wood v Blackpool earlier on in the season, and I was as sober as a judge that day. I'm off to Cheltenham in a couple of weeks, and have asked my friends to keep an eye out for me.



I didn't manage to catch any of the first half of Scotland-England in the Six Nations. I was quite grateful when I viewed the half-time score. England played a bit better in the second half, and there was a brief moment when I thought we were going to pull off a memorable comeback. But it wasn't to be. I'd like to congratulate Scotland, but as I'm a very petty and immature sports fan, I'm not going to.

News broke that Eddie Jones was verbally and physically abused on a train coming back from Scotland, and also in Manchester. These numpties really need to take a good look at themselves. Regardless of whether they were English or not, it's really shoddy behaviour to target Jones in this way. Banter (as the kids probably don't call it now) is acceptable if both parties are laughing, but it doesn't sound like the comments directed towards Jones were jovial. I'm just hoping it wasn't Gary Neville letting his feelings known once more.



Surely we are entering the end game of the Arsene Wenger reign at the club? It's heartbreaking to see such a great man come in for such heavy criticism, but he doesn't help himself at times. The man should have been carried out of our stadium on the shoulders of supporters after his final match in charge at Arsenal, with everyone singing his name. But the situation is getting so messy at the club, that it appears that the separation will be messy.

However, if Brendan Rodgers is the answer, then it makes you wonder what the question is.



Snow has played havoc with sporting fixtures this week. As someone who has always told my children never to eat yellow snow, I was alarmed to see a yellow snow weather warning earlier in the week. I don't know what the world is coming to.

I had to cancel my Tuesday night plans when Boreham Wood v Maidenhead was called off, and it's a shame that the home match has been postponed this weekend against Macclesfield. The fixture had been scheduled to be shown live on BT Sport, but I guess it can't be helped. Hopefully the rearranged meeting can still be shown live, as it would be unfortunate for the club to miss out on the occasion.

Previous entries:
Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8

No comments:

Post a Comment