Monday 6 November 2017

2017: History in Hertfordshire

Football, bloody hell. That famous expression used by Alex Ferguson after Manchester United had completed the treble came back to me on Saturday November 4, 2017. Some might say that Boreham Wood's moment of history against Blackpool in the FA Cup first round, should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Clive Tyldesley's "balmy night in Barcelona". Try telling that to anyone lucky enough to be at Meadow Park as the final whistle sounded.

My son and I have been fairly regular visitors to Boreham Wood over the last couple of seasons, but this year our commitment has stepped up a notch. In the summer, we took advantage of the fantastic offer of £100 and £30 for an adult and child season ticket. The club has made huge strides since their promotion to the National League in 2015, and are now even flirting with the play-offs. And on Saturday, the two of us, along with my parents - who met and spent their courting (!) years in the town - would see a missing chapter added to the story of Boreham Wood.

In their relatively short history - Boreham Wood are this season celebrating their 70th anniversary - the club had never beaten a Football League club in the FA Cup. Last season, we attended the first round match against League Two Notts County, and for a while it looked as if the duck would be broken. However, Notts County came back from two down to force a replay, which they would win 2-0.

After attending the win over local rivals St Albans in the FA Cup Fourth qualifying round match, we eagerly awaited the draw for the first round proper. Paired with League One Blackpool, we travelled to the ground more in hope than expectation. Facing up against a team just three points off the play-offs suggested a thorough examination awaited.

Manager Luke Garrard later admitted on Radio Five Live that his players probably gave Blackpool too much respect, and for the opening ten minutes, the visitors enjoyed a lot of possession, pinging the ball around quickly and neatly on the fantastic new playing surface at Meadow Park. Grant Smith saved well with his feet from one Blackpool attack, and I think he may have got a fingertip on a drive that thudded on to the post. With no goals at half-time, I was chuffed. Keep it tight, and sneak a 1-0 seemed the best approach. 

That went out of the window when Danny Philliskirk put Blackpool ahead after 62 minutes. The goal felt decisive at the time, as if all the air had been let out of the balloon, and I feared the Wood would be picked off on the break as they searched for a way back into the match. Fortunately, Garrard now has strength on the bench, though. Turning to Blair Turgott and Dan Holman, the double substitution would be the catalyst for the comeback.

We saw Turgott's impressive debut for the club in the 2-0 win over Leyton Orient. Since that day, I have wondered why the on-loan Stevenage player has not seen more first-team action; my son can vouch for this, probably wishing he had a pound every time I have raised the subject. So I was understandably delighted when Turgott equalised after 68 minutes. Finishing off a fine move involving Kieran Murtagh, Bruno Andrade, and Kane Smith, Turgott changed the course of the match, and also managed to make me look clever (and that is some achievement).

You often get a feeling when watching a sporting event that something special might be about to happen. Many times this is just misplaced optimism after the euphoria of an incident, yet I kept saying to anyone unfortunate enough to be sat near me, that there was definitely a shock on the cards. For once I was right, though. As Kieran Murtagh's header from Bruno Andrade's corner bounced towards the line, everyone held their breath. Holman finished it off, and with just two minutes remaining, the big dream was becoming a reality.




I'm not sure what happened to me when the winning goal went in. Jumping up to celebrate, I ended up on the stairs next to my seat, and completely lost the use of my legs. Scrambling around on my hands and knees, I looked like a cross between Trevor Berbick during his clash with Mike Tyson in 1986, and Del Boy falling through the bar. Getting back to my feet by pushing myself up on a random stranger's foot, I shared a high-five with Chairman Danny Hunter, before explaining my fall to my parents and son. 

Naturally they were unable to control their laughter, and it would continue to provide a lot of entertainment during the journey home. But once I had dusted myself down, it dawned on me that Boreham Wood were now minutes away from creating their own piece of history. The board went up showing four minutes, and there were a few nervy moments. But after what seemed like the longest 240 seconds ever, the referee blew for full-time, and it was party time in WD6.

A Response Team had moved into position in an attempt to prevent a pitch invasion, yet they were powerless to hold back jubilant fans who rushed on to celebrate with the players. Fittingly, 90-year-old Bill O'Neill was present to enjoy the occasion. A founder member of the club, the Club President was apparently very emotional after the win. Judging by the faces of many others, I am happy to report that he was not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment